Swamped with your writing assignments? Take the weight off your shoulder!
Analyzing a company’s operations, identifying problems and recommending solutions based on the concepts covered in operations management.
Instructions: You and your teammates are to create a Team Term Paper written in a formal business format. You should send a copy to the manager you interviewed. General guidelines for the report
1. Use several headings and subheadings; leave two lines between sections
2. Write short sentences and paragraphs
3. Include diagrams, tables, and photographs, and place them next to the paragraph where they are first mentioned
4. Caption all tables and figures
5. Include company documentation and other materials in one or more appendices
Structure of the report (should be followed)
1. Title page, dated, with group members
3. Table of contents
4. Introduction (no more than 2 pages) • Describe the purpose of the report. • Briefly describe the company, the industry, and the operations observed
5. Critical competitive capabilities and priorities of the operations function (no more than 1 page).
6. Analysis of a specific process or function of your choice (4-7 pages). This section is the main part of the paper. Analyze one or more operations management tasks such as quality, inventory, planning and scheduling, lean systems or sustainability. Describe data gathered from the process, reports produced for decision-making, and policies and procedures that the company uses. Use the tools (such as process charts, Pareto charts,etc.) you learned in the topics covered in class to document the process, analyze the process, examine the inventory models or the scheduling methods. Are they following sustainability and lean systems principles? Identify problems in the areas you study.
7. Recommendations (2-4 pages). This section of the paper is critical. It should include recommendations for the firm to correct any problems, increase productivity, improve quality, add capabilities or any combination of the above. Recommend specific solutions or propose clear paths for improvement. These must relate to operations management NOT marketing or any other discipline.
8. Conclusion Provide a summary and highlight what you have learned from the company visit and the people you interviewed.
9. Appendices Any appendices must be referenced in the body of the report Note that you may have to cover the name of the company in some of the reports or forms, or disguise some of the figures