Swamped with your writing assignments? Take the weight off your shoulder!
Reaction Paper Assignment: You will be writing a 2-page (doublespaced) reaction paper on a research article under the topic of drug use and abuse. This is a vast field with a multitude of different drugs, treatments, and research on the biological changes related to drug use. Your topic has to be on a drug of abuse or related to use of that drug (i.e. syringe program). Antidepressants are not abused! Find a peer-reviewed primary article that interests you.
For this paper you will need to include:
(1) Provide a brief background for the topic that you are discussing. Please include why you chose this topic and what you initially thought about this field before you started researching on the topic.
(2) Summarize the primary journal article you have chosen. Do not include statistical jargon in the results or extraneous details; just tell me what the researchers found. Remember this is only a page, so you do not have a lot of room to be frivolous in your writing.
(3) What did you think about the article? Does this change what you initially thought about the topic? What future research that should be done to better address the topic?
(4) Include a reference at the end
Please follow the general APA format. While I will not be grading on APA style, I do expect 12 pt font, a standard font (times new roman), and 1-inch margins. Please include the reference at the end of your paper.
Did you pick an appropriate peer-reviewed primary research article? Ask yourself:
(1) Is it in a scientific journal? (not popular press!) A good indication is that it has a DOI and/or journal volume/issue.
(2) Is there an introduction, methods, results and discussion?
(3) In the results section is there statistical jargon (i.e. F-scores, p values, means, etc.)? If it does not have a results section that is usually an indication that it is a review article not a primary article. Please do not use review articles. You will lose points if you do. If you answered yes to all of these then you have an appropriate article for the assignment. If you are still unsure, feel free to email me the article to verify.
Research Reflection Rubric (this is a general rubric for this assignment)
Provide a brief background (3)
why you chose this topic? (1)
what you initially thought about this field? (1)
(2) Article summary
Summarize purpose (2)
No extraneous information? (1)
What did you think about the article? (2)
Does this change what you initially thought? (2)
Primary article? (1)
Drug use and abuse topic? (2)