Swamped with your writing assignments? Take the weight off your shoulder!
Research Essay Assignment Sheet
A research paper is an extended essay that requires students to gather information from
multiple sources and present than information with a fresh point of view. The research paper will
be 3 pages (NOT including the title and references pages) in length. This will allow students
the opportunity to develop research skills as well as form an informed opinion. This essay must
be a thoughtful piece that demonstrates the student’s understanding of the topic as well as their
views on current societal issues.
Do standardized tests do more harm than good for students?Thesis: Standardized testing is an unfair and inaccurate method of evaluating a student’s knowledge, some students excel at test-taking while others fail under pressure, stress, and anxiety
The types of sources you will need for you essay are:
website (how would you evaluate a website’s credibility?)
social media post i.e. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube (how would you
Student choice. You can pick a video game, personal interview, dvd, etc or you
can pick something from above.
An introduction that introduces your topic and a thesis that narrows the focus of your essay.
A strong thesis needs be an argument (an idea that someone can disagree with), NOT a
simple statement of fact.
– Multiple body paragraphs with strong topic sentences. These paragraphs expand on your
thesis and use quotes and paraphrases from the source material to support your ideas. APA
format (author’s last name, year of publication, page number- Johnson, 2015, p. 25) is
required. These paragraphs must include at least 3 citations from various sources (journal
articles, websites, social media, etc).
– A conclusion that reiterates the thesis and gives the reader something to think about (but still
ensures that all issues mentioned in the essay are addressed).
– A references page that includes only the sources cited in the essay.
Remember: This essay must conform to APA format or it will not be graded.
Things to remember:
– Use 1 inch margins all around.
– Include a cover page with proper
– Provide a page number in the upper right side of the header.
– Double space, use consistent font type (11 or 12) and size throughout the essay.
– Paragraphs should be 4-7 sentences long.
– Incorrect citations are a form of plagiarism. Plagiarism will earn you a ‘0.’
My title and thesis is Title: Do standardized tests do more harm than good for students?Thesis: Standardized testing is an unfair and inaccurate method of evaluating a student’s knowledge, some students excel at test-taking while others fail under pressure, stress, and anxiety.